Thursday, April 26, 2007

Be Here Now: Finding strength in the present…and other philosophies I have….

When I was growing up, my parents often told me to “be here now.” This advice has resonated with me and I revert to it in times when I am worried or feel like I have let go of the reins in life. Their words suggest the importance of staying grounded and keep everything in perspective; while it is important not to completely disregard the future, there are some things that are out of our control. Being in college, I have learned to look to myself and the people I love in my life at difficult times. From my experience, one must first find peace of mind within themselves in order to even open up to the support of friends and family. In order to trust, love and feel confident in ourselves, we often have to dig deep. There is no way to force this kind of well-being; it seems like we take pride in ourselves, and eventually, we have this unchallenged faith in our ability to find inner-strength. This is not the same for everyone; for many people, religion is the primary source of strength, and the self-understanding follows. I respect any method of self understanding (as long as it doesn’t harm oneself or anyone else of course), however religion has never appealed to me. Bob Marley states my feelings about this perfectly: “Some people think great good will come from the sky, take away everything, and make everyone feel high. But if you knew what life was worth, you would look for yours on earth.” I feel like the always inspiring words of Marley are very compatible with my parents’ suggestion to “be here now.” This is how I try to live my life; with a focus on the present that does not include regret or unnecessary preoccupation. People always comment on how calm and cheerful I am; although I experience a whirlwind of emotion just like everyone else (I’m actually VERY emotional) I find comfort in knowing that at whatever moment I am in, I lead a fulfilling life filled with endless opportunity and absolutely amazing people by my side. I guess you could call me an optimist….

*disclaimer (I love using disclaimers): the ability to focus on one’s present life circumstances should not result in indifference for relevant problems that occur outside of themselves (global issues, friends’ problems, etc). I am not suggesting selfishness or indulgent self-involvement; rather, “be here now” is a means of finding enough conviction in ourselves to tackle the many obstacles we encounter throughout life with poise and fervor.

No comments: